Two issues in Android data collection

Discussions about creating CAPI applications to run on Android devices
msoni

Two issues in Android data collection

Post by msoni »

Hello
Greetings and good evening.
I have two questions related to Android device based data collection using CSEntry.

Question 1: There is one question, radio button type, has long option text, so it goes left to right and difficult to read while data collection. Is there a way to wrap the text or other way to see full option text.

Question 2. We have CSweb server configured in our office. If there is any application deployed on CSWeb, is visible, when any data collector wantes to add that application. Then for another project, same way, another app is deployed. My question is, Is there a way, where a person see only his project's app when downloading.

Currently he sees all the apps, and he can download any of the app and can enter data. I want to stop that, either at level of downloading or at by opening the app, so it says something like you are not authorized for this app. Meaning authorized people should be able to download and add application. I know the password is there for user, but user sees all the apps available on server. If that can be controlled. Or lets say he downloads, but he should not be able to enter the data in that app.

Example: lets say i have two apps app A and app B, and i have two users, user A and user B. Currently user A can see both app A and B and enter data and same for user B. I want user A should ONLY app A and enter data for app A only. Same for app and user B.

What can be done in this case.

Thanks and Regards
Manoj
justinlakier

Re: Two issues in Android data collection

Post by justinlakier »

Hello,

For your first issue with radio buttons, CSPro does not allow a large degree of customization on the display of the basic radio button dialog. Using shorter labels is the easiest solution, with additional details in the question text rather than in long answer text. However if you want to customize your own radio buttons which are easier to read with long text and wrap around, you can see viewtopic.php?t=5759. You can create an htmldialog which displays radio buttons in your preferred manner. This requires a little more HTML know-how.

For your second issue, most of the time data collectors do not download the app by opening CSEntry, inputting the CSWeb url, and selecting a project from this list. Authorization issues aside, this would require a huge load on CSWeb if every interviewer did so. Instead, for most Censuses there is a provisioning process where tablets are loaded with the correct files (CSEntry and the project files in the correct location) before being handed out. Further syncing/updating is done in the code of the application menu, so it should not be necessary in the process for data collectors to manually connect to the CSWeb URL and select their application from there.

The application menu is also a good place to put a login which prevents unauthorized users from opening an application they've downloaded. You can see menu examples in the Examples folder. These have logins which require that a new Interviewer sync with a Supervisor to get their staff file before logging in, and require a new Supervisor to use a password provided by HQ. This login system in the examples can provide guidance on how to authorize users for the application.

Hope this helps,
Justin
msoni

Re: Two issues in Android data collection

Post by msoni »

Thanks for your reply.
Will go through and try to understand and implement the solutions.
Regards
Manoj