Application startup error while filling in data

Discussions about CSEntry
wimneel

Application startup error while filling in data

Post by wimneel »

I recently wrote a data entry application in CSPro 7.7.1; we are using CSEntry 7.7.3 on smartphones to collect the data. It's working fine 99% of the time, but from time to time, while typing in data, it suddenly stops working and gives the following error message: "Application Startup Error. There was an error and CSEntry could not open" followed by the name of the application. The only way to get things working again is to quit the app and re-open it. Data from the case the enumerator was working on are lost.
Has anybody noticed this behaviour and has anybody an idea what is causing it and how to solve it?
Thank you for your help.
justinlakier

Re: Application startup error while filling in data

Post by justinlakier »

When exactly is this error happening? Is it while starting an application, or in the middle of entry for a question? If you're chaining multiple applications together, is it occurring between applications? Can you reliably reproduce it and say what you were doing? This error is possibly caused by an incomplete deploy. Make sure all files including your .pen and .pff files are identical between your deploy folders. I'd also suggest building the .pen in cspro 7.7.3 so there isn't a mismatch in versions, then making sure your deployment for all involved applications is complete.

Hope that helps,
Justin La Kier
wimneel

Post by wimneel »

Thank you very much for your reply.
This is happening while in the middle of completing a questionnaire, not when opening one.
There is no specific question in the questionnaire that triggers this error, it can happen at any moment.
I'll do a new deploy to find out if an incomplete deploy is the cause.
As for the version of CSPro, the newest one I can find (on census.gov) seems to be 7.7.2. I´ll try that out to see if it makes a difference.
Thanks again for your help. I'll let you know if there are any new developments.
sherrell

Post by sherrell »

You can find 7.7.3 here on the forum: https://www.csprousers.org/downloads/

Unfortunately we didn't upload this interim release on the Census Bureau's website. We will be releasing version 8.0 soon (hopefully by the end of Summer), and that you will definitely find both here and on the Census Bureau's website.

Sherrell
wimneel

Post by wimneel »

Thank you very much. I downloaded version 7.7.3 and created a new .pen file.
We also had several new deployments (of slightly improved versions of the app).
Unfortunately the error keeps popping up, although rarely.