How to stop the automatically update of the CSEntry apk.

Discussions about CSEntry
lestcape

How to stop the automatically update of the CSEntry apk.

Post by lestcape »

We have a question about the release process that CSPro developers are carry out. We do surveys that can last more than 6 months, so inevitably in the middle of our survey they may release new versions of the server, CSPro or CSEntry.

We don't have time to test everything they have released and swapping a tested version for an untested one doesn't look like a good deal. So, we prefer to stay with the version we already have and have tested. However, we do not have control over the android devices that are involved in the survey and they may be update to the last release in some point. This can occurs in most cases without appreciable repercussions, but we fear that at some point they will release a disruptive version or that it may contain some error and therefore our survey will incurs in problems.

What is the recommendation about it?

I think should be really good, if they can release an apk outside the google store in a way that android not recognized it as an older version of the version they will release in the google store after they created a new version. That could be possible?

Thanks in advance.
aaronw

Re: How to stop the automatically update of the CSEntry apk.

Post by aaronw »

You'll want to disable automatic updates. We have a blog post that explains how. It's been a few years, since the blog post was written so I wouldn't be surprised if the Android UI was a little different than what is described: https://www.csprousers.org/posts/2018-0 ... droid.html
aaronw

Post by aaronw »

I just walked through the process to disable automatic updates and it has changed a bit.
  1. Launch Google Play Store
  2. Search for CSEntry
  3. Press the CSPro logo / Title
  4. Press the menu icon (...) to expand
  5. Uncheck "Enable auto update"
disable-auto-update.png
disable-auto-update.png (17.69 KiB) Viewed 1248 times
lestcape

Post by lestcape »

Thanks, we already are disabling automatically updates for all apps, but this not work well, because once the survey start, we have not control of the device, how i already said and the people that have it re-enabled the updates. Our survey are massive and then it's difficult control exhaustive all our devices and verify they have always the wanted configuration. So, i'm searching for a solution to also prevent situations like this:

https://android.stackexchange.com/quest ... play-store

I think if the apk is signer diferently, we can avoid all problematic at once, also not matter the android version we use.
sherrell

Post by sherrell »

We don't have plans to change how our APK is distributed at this time.

If you want to exert extra control over your field staff devices, you may wish to consider a mobile device management (MDM) system.
lestcape

Post by lestcape »

@sherrell thanks, that answer my question. Not as I would have liked, as you are really not providing a solution, but good, things are as they are.