Type Value on Dictionary

Discussions about CSEntry
langitluna

Type Value on Dictionary

Post by langitluna »

Greeting All
Happy Easter

On CS Pro, I am still beginner. Learning every day. Switching from others application that I know before like EPIData, QPS, SPSS Data Entry ..
And with this CSPro I has been falling in love. My simple last project I build with CSPro. So cool. Perfecto.
Very appreciated and salute very much to you all Team. Gregory, Josh

Now to my problem, ah, no, my question regarding building specification on CS Pro Data Entry.

When I build a dictionary record there is a column called Type Value (after Record name). I called DICTIONARY1.DCF
This automatically given one randomly character like A or B or C or 1 or 2 or % or & . % etc etc
When on some situation, for some reason I have to add more than 100 Record (for this any character as type value has been fill above, I can not add more record. The Error message will appears like "RECORD CONTAIN ERROR". So for this, I did with this step:
I create other Dictionary DICTIONARY2.DCF, create Record and add item.
Then Justt Copy the record on DICTIONARY2.DCF and paste to DICTIONARY1.DCF.
And No Error message appears. But the Value Type Paste become blank.

Then with this DICTIONARY1.DCF , I created .ent file, then generated with auto form. It will created 100 forms.
This is I like very much with CSPro, able to autogenerate form as records name. I usually created number of form as number of pages on my questionnaire. So if the questionnaire have 50 pages, I created 50 records on dictionary, then do auto generate form.
Simsalabim. 50 form created. Perfecto. I do just some text editing as what look like on questionnaire.
(Guide on Unversity of Reading I follow on Youtube said: Data Entry form should looks like on questionnaire, so user data entry can do data entry properly. This I agree. This only CSPro able to do like this)

Finally I do the data entry. No problem. Data Entry Ok. At least till I export the result to CSV or SPSS.

My question: what I did above:
Did I do the right thing regarding condition of Dictionary Structure, or regarding result of Data Entry on later purpose ?
Would you please give me insight ?

Thanx very much
josh

Re: Type Value on Dictionary

Post by josh »

The type value is how CSPro can tell one record from another in the data file. If the value type is blank then CSPro won't be able to tell which record is which type. This is explained pretty well in the help if you search for "Record type". By default the length of the type value is 1 digit. Since you have a very large number of records you may need to increase this to 2 digits. You can do this by selecting the id-items in the dictionary tree and then modifying the length of of "record type" which will be the first line in the window on the right.