Using the Deploy Application feature with Dropbox

Discussions about syncing data via Bluetooth, Dropbox, FTP, and using CSWeb
Forum rules
New release: CSPro 8.0
asheffel

Using the Deploy Application feature with Dropbox

Post by asheffel »

Hi,

I am trying to use the Deploy Application feature to synchronize tablets and data through Dropbox and have a question about how this feature works. I have successfully deployed the application to several tablets using the Deploy application. Several people have collected data on their tablets. I then needed to fix a skip pattern so I updated the CSPro application and then redeployed. The data collectors updated the application on their tablets, but are reporting that the update deleted all data they had already collected. Is this what is supposed to happen? Is there any way to ensure the data file does not get overwritten when the application is updated?

Many thanks!
Ashley
josh

Re: Using the Deploy Application feature with Dropbox

Post by josh »

Deploy will overwrite any existing files on the tablet that are also in the deployment package. If you add a data file to your deployment package then it will overwrite the data file on the tablet. Normally your deployment package would only include the .pen and .pff files so the data file would not be overwritten.

Also make sure that when you update the pff file in your deployment package that you use the same data file name and path that you had in the pff file in the original deployment package. If you change this path then when the pff file on the tablet is updated it will look for the data with the new name/location and ignore the data file that contains the previously collected data.
asheffel

Post by asheffel »

Hi Josh,

The team I am working with in Mozambique is reporting some continued problems with data being removed from the tablet when they update the application using the Dropbox deploy functionality. I checked and there is no data file in the deployment package and I have not changed the data file name or path in the pff. One of the team members was able to record a video to show what happens to the data when the application is updated and the data does seem to disappear (I'd attach the video but it looks like I can't attach a mp4 file). Do you have any ideas as to why this might be happening or what I can do to fix it?

Many thanks!
Ashley
josh

Post by josh »

I'm puzzled as to what could cause this. The deployment code only copies the files that exist in the archive so as long as there is no data file there it shouldn't change the existing files. Can you email the mp4 file, or a link to it, to cspro@lists.census.gov?
asheffel

Post by asheffel »

I just emailed the video. Here's a link to download if that's easier.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/7nnu2tnz7n5vt ... 2.mp4?dl=0

Thanks!
Ashley
josh

Post by josh »

Thanks for the video. I see the cases have disappeared. This does not happen when I try with my test application. So the difference is either with your program or with your tablet. Can you send me your application so I can test it on my tablet? Please send the deployment script you used to deploy it too. If you don't want to post it for everyone you can email it to cspro@lists.census.gov
asheffel

Post by asheffel »

I'm attaching here the application and the deployment script. Let me know if you need anything else.

Thanks!
Attachments
MOZ SARA.zip
(298.88 KiB) Downloaded 390 times
asheffel

Post by asheffel »

Ok, now that I am looking at it again, it seems perhaps someone did change the Input data file in the pff. It should be:

InputData=.\Data\SARA_data.csdb|CSPRODB

but currently it is:

InputData=W:\Work\Consulting work\8_Mozambique SARA\5_CSPro data collection\CSPro SARA_2.3\Data\SARA_data.csdb|CSPRODB

Could this be causing the problem?
josh

Post by josh »

Yes. That would definitely be the problem since the drive W: will not exist on the tablet. Try changing it back to the original and redeploying and see if that fixes the problem.