Id-variables not filled, please reenter

Discussions about CSEntry
Forum rules
New release: CSPro 8.0
ArmanM.

Id-variables not filled, please reenter

Post by ArmanM. »

I have the following error messages during data entry:
In the end (ENE) when I am clicking enter the following error messages occurred:
1.Id-variables not filled, please reenter
2.Record occurrences generated with record _IDS0.
3. Case ids ' ' duplicates an existing case! Case ids must be unique. message 92101
tatadano

Re: Id-variables not filled, please reenter

Post by tatadano »

In my case, I do back up first of the entire data files and then delete it. Next time I run the program I no longer encounter duplicate IDs. Thanks.
Gregory Martin

Post by Gregory Martin »

Every CSPro dictionary must have a group of ID items that are used to distinguish one case from another. IDs are what tell CSPro what makes up a case. For example, in a survey, IDs might be something like: cluster number & household number. Your case must have IDs, and you must fill them out in your application. If you can't think of what the ID items should be, you can always create a large number and assign it a random or sequential number.

The error message you are receiving is because you did not enter any ID items. Think about your application and determine what should be the ID. Maybe it is a person's name, or maybe it is a household number. In any case, it must be a value that will be unique across all your cases.
bhayusufianto

Post by bhayusufianto »

Dear Gregory Martin & other experts,

Is there anyway to replace default notification of "Id-variables not filled, please reenter" with other lines?

Thank you very much.
szso

Post by szso »

bhayusufianto,

You just have to edit the file <CSProRuntime.mgf>in 'C:\Program Files (x86)\CSPro 7.0\'. Look for the line corresponding to the default message appearing on your screen and change it to what is convenient for you.

In your case, it is in line 85, message number 1026.
bhayusufianto

Post by bhayusufianto »

Dear szso, thanks for the reply.

I'v found message number 1026 in file <CSProRuntime.mgf>. i opened file <CSProRuntime.mgf> with notepad. After I changed the message number 1026, I tried to save as and replace file <CSProRuntime.mgf>, but the action was denied.

Could you brief me how to modify and replace file <CSProRuntime.mgf>? Thank you very much.
josh

Post by josh »

Since this file in the program files directory you need administrative privileges to edit. Try running notepad as administrator and modifying the file.

Alternatively you can make a copy of the CSProRuntime.mgf file and put it in the same directory as your application. You can then edit that file. When you run your application CSPro will use the version in the same directory as the application instead of the one in program files. Also if you build a .pen file it will put the customized version of the message file into the .pen file.
bhayusufianto

Post by bhayusufianto »

Dear Josh,

Thank you very much for the information, very useful for me as newbie...