6.3 apps not working in android 7 version

Discussions about creating CAPI applications to run on Android devices
Forum rules
New release: CSPro 8.0
Enkhbayar

6.3 apps not working in android 7 version

Post by Enkhbayar »

Hi, I have apps which is developed in cspro 6.3, but but i had cspro crash problem after release of the version 7. when I download cspro from the Play store and tried to run my app it crashes. Crash occurs when I call dynamically generated pff app from the Menu app.
josh

Re: 6.3 apps not working in android 7 version

Post by josh »

In general, apps written in 6.3 should work fine in version 7. Try rebuilding the .pen file using version 7.0 and see if that fixes the problem. If not, please send us a copy of the app. You can send it to cspro@lists.census.gov.
Enkhbayar

Post by Enkhbayar »

we don't want to shift to the ver7 yet, a big survey is in the operation now.

It seems a bug, menu app works well but dynamically generated pff crashes when it tried to run.
josh

Post by josh »

It isn't a general bug as we have plenty of apps that we use in 7 with dynamically generated pff files. You can send us your app (cspro@lists.census.gov) and we can take a look.

If you don't want to switch to 7.0 on the PC then stick with 6.3 on the tablet too.
Enkhbayar

Post by Enkhbayar »

Thanks Josh, you are right. It's better to stick with 6.3 for a while. When I download and install 6.3 on the tablet manually, the problem is gone.
Gabrang

Post by Gabrang »

I've the same problem, my apps run in 6.3 but with upgrade to 7 on the Android device generate some problems and dont execute the app,

the seftile only take the first filename, when change the data file for second time dont work, always remember the firts file.

if need use selcase, before is necesary set file again.

when the data file have only a one case and uses selcase for view the information, not appear the box, if the file have two o more cases show the box.
josh

Post by josh »

Are you closing the files in logic? We made some changes in 7.0 so that in a loadcase call, the data file isn't automatically opened.

In 6.3 the following should work, because loadcase automatically opens the file but it will not work in 7.0 since the file has been closed and is now set to an empty data source:

close(DICT_NAME);
loadcase(DICT_NAME,ID_VARIABLE);

A workaround is to add an open statement like the following:

close(DICT_NAME);
open(DICT_NAME);
loadcase(DICT_NAME,ID_VARIABLE);

However a better solution is to remove the calls to close. You should almost never need to call close. The only time you might need it is if you are sharing a text data file between two applications that are open at the same time. This can never happen on Android and is very rare on Windows.

If that isn't the issue then please send your app to cspro@lists.census.gov so we can take a look. Please use the pack application tool to send the files.
Mariovaisman

Post by Mariovaisman »

I was the developer for this application, it was developed 10 months ago.
This survey is in the field, and it takes 12 months to be collect the data.
We can not move to cspro 7.0 for this process, all was working properly, all .pen were copied to the 300 tablets which are in the field. For some reason, some tablets updated automatically csentry and those tablets didn't work properly after this update. The new csentry apk, doesn't work with the .pen located in the tablets.

We had to uninstall the current csentry from the tablet, find the old csentry apk and apply to those tablets and stop to do automaic updates. Then we could continue working.

We didn't expect this situation during the survey process.

For new projects, we will use version 7.0

Thanks

Mario Vaisman
Mariovaisman

Post by Mariovaisman »

I forgot to inform that not only we had to do what we said, we had to delete all index files. Then the app started again.
Please see our situation, we have 44 teams working around the country, 300 tablets involved in the process, 7 months working, and one day, it stops.

For all those tablets that were updated, we have to collect, and apply the solution manually.

Thanks.
Gregory Martin

Post by Gregory Martin »

It would be nice if you could mark certain apps in Google Play as "production apps" that shouldn't get updated without express permission from the user, rather than the default setting of updating everything, as if can lead to the situation that you faced.

I hope that you weren't too inconvenienced. We try to keep CSPro backwards compatible, but with the complete overhaul of data file input/output in 7.0, there may be some things that break.