Using 'maketext' function

Discussions about CSEntry
etienne

Using 'maketext' function

Post by etienne »

Dear All,
A honor to be here with you cspro pro-users!
Please would you be of a help to me, i'm now running v6.3.2 and recently i faced a problem with "maketext" function, this is the code i wrote:
---> identif=maketext("%03d",FICHE_OP_ID) <--- where 'FICHE_OP_ID' is numeric(3) and 'identif' alpha(3). Yet it seems to be ok, but when executed there is no response at that proc. I have never had such a problem before, but i will also say that these last days my antivirus (KAV) reports me that cspro is behaving like a threat (or some message like that??!), then the .exe file is deleted, requiring a re-installation of the software. Please, anyone to give a solution ? Good day..
My gratitude!
Gregory Martin

Re: Using 'maketext' function

Post by Gregory Martin »

What do you mean that there is no response? If FICHE_OP_ID is notappl, the string might be blank. If you think that the problem might be maketext, I would run this code:
identif = maketext("%03d",FICHE_OP_ID);

errmsg("%s | %03d",identif,FICHE_OP_ID);
The error message will allow you to compare the value of the string constructed via errmsg vs. what you have in maketext. The should be equal.
etienne

Post by etienne »

Thank you Mr Gregory, very much !!
In fact FICHE_OP_ID is notappl at the moment the application is launched but during the entry its value naturally changes. What i wanted to do is to allow a partial save (with the logic) during the entry, so that when an operator comes back a message would precise him the case ID he partially entered before, and i also wanted to update a report (some file called "modification.txt" setted during the entry), so that the supervisor might visualize all manipulations done by the operator. But it seems like when opening a data file in 'modify mode' (just like the one was partial saved or even completely saved), numeric fields are not read while alpha fields are. Sure, I used your proposal (the 'errmsg' way) with two different fields, and i noticed that numeric field is not read (i mean the value entered during the first entry session appears on the screen but is not 'caught') but with the alpha field there is no problem. So this is my worry, is this concerning 'maketext' function (because the alpha field 'identif' in fact is the maketext of FICHE_OP_ID) or is the problem dealing with the entry mode ('modify') ??
Thanks a lot Sir!!
Gregory Martin

Post by Gregory Martin »

If you refer to a numeric field before you have entered it (like at the beginning of a modified case), you need to use the visualvalue function. Try:
identif = maketext("%03d",visualvalue(FICHE_OP_ID));
etienne

Post by etienne »

:D :) ;) thank you very much, the "visualvalue" function works perfectly, i'm sorry i forgot to reply the last week, now i'm already done with the application i was designing and everything is ok since, thanks to you Sir!!! Happy Labour Day!