Linked-setvalue conversion problem

Discussions about CSEntry
Hysin

Linked-setvalue conversion problem

Post by Hysin »

Good day everyone,
It’s my first post in forum, and because english isn’t my first language, I’m really sorry if my explanation isn’t clear to anyone.
I was in the middle of research and using cspro for data entry in multiple region in my country (Indonesia). I ended up using multiple setvalue to pin point region from Province, to district until village. And having no problem in doing so. Until at the end of the research when data collecting phase is already over and I need to analyze it via SPSS.
And here come the trouble;
When I finally convert all my data from cspro to spss, the value of region isn’t captured. And my data is pretty much screwed.
I attach the example of my cspro and it’s conversion to give a clearer picture.
I’d like to ask some help if somehow there’s a way to capture all setvalue when I convert CSPRO file to SPSS.

Thank you very much.
Hysin.
Attachments
linkedsetvalueconverttrouble.rar
(6.55 KiB) Downloaded 282 times
Saint

Re: Linked-setvalue conversion problem

Post by Saint »

Hi Hysin,
Which variable is the Region that you want to reconstruct. Looking at the application, I think what you missed is a value set with all the options for the IDKEL and IDKEC questions. Also the fact that you used same codes for different KEL or KECs means that you need the full information on KABCOT, KEL and KEC to fully identify each case.

I will suggest that you remove all the value sets from IDKEL and IDKEC before export. And then you can do all the possible combinations of KABCOT, KEL and KEC in SPSS and then label them. It can be done also be done by adding a new variable to the dictionary and then restructuring the dat file with the new dictionary.

Hope this helps..
Gregory Martin

Re: Linked-setvalue conversion problem

Post by Gregory Martin »

When exporting to SPSS, CSPro only exports the labels for the first value set. That means that you may end up with strange information when using a cascading value set as you did with geographic ID items. The problem, as Saint mentions, is that to truly get a proper name for an area, you need to look at the combination of several variables. There is no way to get proper labels in SPSS unless you collapse those variables into a single one and then, in SPSS, add labels that new variable.