Unknown error A 4017

Discussions about CSEntry
kompiler

Unknown error A 4017

Post by kompiler »

An error with the full description - "A 4017 Unknown error when processing '/storage/emulated/0/csentry/[Application Name]/[Data file name]' failure" occurs in different items of different cases (not every case) of the application during entering data. Couldn't find any information regarding this issue. Moreover if the same case (that previously had the mentioned issue) is inspected (edited) the error might not occur.
josh

Re: Unknown error A 4017

Post by josh »

Which version of CSPro are you using?
kompiler

Post by kompiler »

CSPro 6.3 is used for creating application. But the error occurs only in CSEntry (latest update).
josh

Post by josh »

This error occurs when trying to write a case to the disk. Could your disk drive be full or close to it? Or are you saving over a network? It could also be that your index file is corrupted (.idx file or .csidx file). Try deleting the index file and running again.
kompiler

Post by kompiler »

Dear josh, we are using tabs for entering data and the storage is not an issue. i have savepartial() function used in several places. the error occurs (mostly, but not always) before the item with this function. in all tabs, time to time the error occurs. i couldn't figure out the regularity of occurrence of the error (i mean the real cause).
josh

Post by josh »

Can you send us the application. Either post it here or you can send it through a private message on this forum or to cspro@lists.census.gov. Use the pack application tool to create a zip file so that you make sure to get all the needed files.

Also please let us know what model tablet you are using and what version of Android.
kompiler

Post by kompiler »

Dear josh. The application is sent to the posted e-mail address. The tablets that are used for data collection are Samsung SM-T231 with Android 4.4.2
josh

Post by josh »

I've been testing your application on my tablet but I'm not able to reproduce the problem. The only thing that I noticed that was suspicious is that in the .sts file (where partial saves are stored) there is an entry for case id 10001 which is clearly invalid since the ids are supposed to be 10 digits long. Did you at some point change the length of the student id from 5 to 10 digits? If you have data on the tablet still with the shorter student id that could be causing issues. If that is the case deleting the .sts file might help although CSPro will then treat the partial cases as complete.

If that doesn't help I'm not sure what else to do at this point. I need to be able to reproduce the problem to fix it. If you have any hints on what path is taken to get the error it would help. Since you say that once you have had the error on a particular you can sometimes reproduce it when you go back and modify that case maybe you could send me data for a case where it occurs.

The good news is that the CSPro code that does file writing which where the error is coming from has been completely redone in CSPro 7.0 so I don't think you will see this error in the new version. You could try testing your application with version 7.0 beta and see.
kompiler

Post by kompiler »

Thank you so much, josh. We have previously collected data with the same tablets many times. this kind of error we had received only with this particular application. the only difference from previous applications was using lookup dictionary. maybe this might be the cause?

regarding beta version 7.0 - is it possible to use it with tablets (i mean does it supported by CS Entry)?
josh

Post by josh »

Yes, you need to sign up to be a beta tester on Google Play to get version 7 beta on Android. The link to sign up is at http://www.csprousers.org/beta/ Click on "CSEntry (Android) on Google Play"