Configuring FTPS

Discussions about CSEntry
kakinyim

Configuring FTPS

Post by kakinyim »

Anyone to help?

I have setup my FTP server to use self-signed certificate.

I guess everything works fine but when i try to synchronize and select "Explicit (FTPEs)", i get the error attached. When I use "Implicit (FTPS)" an error saying "Error logging in to server 127.0.0.1. SSL handshake timed out." I just discovered that general FTP does not support checksum validation. Anyone who has come across this? Or what is the best option to validate files transferred over FTP.?

Mutua
Attachments
Screenshot_20170125-134404.png
Screenshot_20170125-134404.png (57.58 KiB) Viewed 5319 times
josh

Re: Configuring FTPS

Post by josh »

FTPS/FTPES both require that you install an SSL certificate on your server. Android does not like it if you use self-signed certificates so you need to purchase a certificate online and install it. The only way to use a self-signed certificate on Android is to add it to the trusted certificates on each Android tablet from the Android settings (under security).

I don't believe that FTPS provides any kind of checksum or integrity check on the files transferred. SFTP (FTP over SSH) does but CSPro does not support SFTP. So switching to FTPS/FTPES will not solve your problem.

In CSPro 6.3 your best bet would be to use the filesize() function and compare the size of the downloaded file to an expected size. You can download a lookup file that contains all the sizes.

In CSPro 7 you can use the diagnostics function to compute an md5 hash of a file. Of course using the sync_file function in CSPro 7 the system automatically does an integrity check using an md5 hash so that would be redundant.
kakinyim

Post by kakinyim »

Thanks Josh.

The problem with "filesize() function" is even the launch pen file could also have download issue in which case you wont run the checksum logic.

I will try for lookups

Thank once again.

Mutua
munirmdee1

Post by munirmdee1 »

Mutua Kakinyi, hello brother!!?...

How far with FTPS Configuration? have you managed to solve the problem?

This is Munir Mdee
Munir Mdee
Software Programmer
National Bureau of Statistic (NBS)
Jakaya Kikwete Road,
P.O.Box 2683,
Dodoma,TANZANIA
Mob: +255 755 740090
Email: munir.mdee@nbs.go.tz
munirmdee@gmail.com