Using Dot Parser for Multiple Answer with 2 digits or more

Discussions about CSEntry
lukman.manggo

Using Dot Parser for Multiple Answer with 2 digits or more

Post by lukman.manggo »

Dear All

Please see the file attached DotParser.zip The original logic from Gregory Martin commaParser.zip

1. Can anybody see the application attached please, make some correction, make it simple or any idea ?
2. How to trick the program into thinking that there is a dot at the begining of the string (as Gregory Martin logic only end of string) ?
3. STRING_YN : How to make this become unlimited or automatic, I mean that the numbers of variables created (automatically) depend on the answered given on STRING_A + STRING_B

Thank you very much for your kind help.

I read the topic "Multiple Select Checkbox" http://csprousers.org/forum/viewtopic.p ... alue#p4684 and also the topic of "Check duplicate value of data string" http://www.csprousers.org/forum/viewtop ... +duplicate
It said that CSPro really not recommend to use numbers as response choices for multiple select questions. As if we have more than 9 answers, the string Alphabets is the only options.

This is the situation that I have :
- For speed reason, data entry user mostly using NumLock numbers (on the right corner of the numeric keypad of the keyboard) on their process to entry the data . The numbers position on NumLock is easy to memorize so data entry process well getting fast and efficient. But its would getting slow or what you call, awkward, when met the alphabets value on the questionnaire.
Just imagine when your right fingers on the numLock, and right hand holding the questionnaire. You have to move your hand to find a particular alphabet ..
- Some questionnaire have coded that more than 2 digits, for example 10,11....99, 100, 1001 and on and on.
- So I made the CSPro application, as attached, that contain 2 alpha variables STRING_A & STRING_B. and STRING_YN for result.

The idea is the entry process will use dot (.) as separator of each entry value that have more than 2 digit For example .10.11.999.1002.2223.
Numbers and this dot both located on Numlock

See the attachment DotParser .Zip The original logic from Gregory Martin commaParser
Thanks Gregory.

STRING_A : entry one digit only 123456789 : Alfa len 1
STRING_B: For string 10,11,…99,100,101,…999, on and on
STRING_YN : Converting checkboxes with repeating item of STRING_A and STRING_B to binary 1 or 0/ Yes or No

My question are:
1. Can anybody see the application attached please, make some correction, make it simple or any idea ?
2. How to trick the program into thinking that there is a dot at the begining of the string (as Gregory Martin logic only end of string) ?
3. STRING_YN : How to make this become unlimited or automatic, I mean that the numbers of variables created (automatically) depend on the answered given on STRING_A + STRING_B

Thank you very much for your kind help.

Lukman
Attachments
DotParser.zip
(4.78 KiB) Downloaded 293 times
josh

Re: Using Dot Parser for Multiple Answer with 2 digits or more

Post by josh »

Rather than using the dots you can use just use two digit numeric codes. Alpha codes are a bit easier to process in logic since they are only one digit long but it is possible to use 2 or even 3 digit numeric values in your value set. The field type would remain alpha but the values will be numbers. See this post: http://www.csprousers.org/forum/viewtop ... 173&p=4126 Specifically looked at the isChecked function.

To convert the values you need to use a loop. The above post has an example of that. You can see another at http://teleyah.com/cspro/DCJune2015/04-CAPI/04-CAPI.pdf under "Converting checkboxes to yes/no"
lukman.manggo

Re: Using Dot Parser for Multiple Answer with 2 digits or more

Post by lukman.manggo »

Thanks Josh for your insight.
I will try to learn the isChecked function for 2 or 3 digits numeric values dataset.
Very appreciated.

Lukman