Creating pen files with older CSPRO program

Discussions about CSEntry
SOMDA

Creating pen files with older CSPRO program

Post by SOMDA »

Dear all,
We are using an old CSPro application wich was designed with version 4.1. We added the CAPI config with version 6.3 and want to create the .pen file in order to use it with androïd. However, this returns an error message asking us to reinstall CSPro. I figure we mess something. Could we have some help?
Thanks. Kind regards
kakinyim

Re: Creating pen files with older CSPRO program

Post by kakinyim »

From the CSPro documentation,
"Binary Data Entry Application File (.PEN)
• A Binary data entry application file is an alternative to the normal set of text data entry application files. It is one file that contains the same information as the set of text files, including the data dictionaries, forms, logic and CAPI question text. It cannot be viewed with any text editor.
• This file can be generated in the CSPro designer and opened by CSEntry, on Windows machines or Android devices. It cannot be opened by the CSPro designer.
• Binary data entry application files provide security during a data entry operation. If you distribute this file to the data entry workstations, the operators cannot change the application, even if they have the full CSPro installed on their machines.
• Binary data entry applications created in versions of CSPro prior to 6.0 had the extension .ENC, not .PEN. These files cannot be read by this version of CSPro."

It is clear that older CSPro prior to 6.0 had their binary files created as ENC.

Have you tried to open the app on 6.3 then recreated PEN files?
SOMDA

Post by SOMDA »

Thank you for reply.
We are working on the data entry application (.ent). We opened it with the 6.3 version, we reviewed the forms and added CAPI questions. Now we try to create .pen files based on our .ent files...
There was no .enc file as we didn't perform mobile data collection before. This was a paper based survey and now we want to redo it with mobile devices.
Regards
Gregory Martin

Post by Gregory Martin »

When are you getting that message about reinstalling CSPro?

You can also try to create the .pen file by right-clicking on the .ent file (in Windows Explorer) and selecting "Publish." Does this work for you?
SOMDA

Post by SOMDA »

I think that the problem was on the computer. I tried it on my laptop and both methods work perfectely.
Thank you for your support.
Regards.