variable names/labels

Discussions about CSEntry
sjonabro

variable names/labels

Post by sjonabro »

Hello everyone,
I have changed the name and label for a variable, yet when I sync the instrument into the tablet (or read the data file in CSPro) the variable retains its original name and label. Any other changes that I make to the instrument are ok, so I know it is not a syncing problem.
Any help would be appreciated. thanks.
Aniseh
josh

Re: variable names/labels

Post by josh »

I assume that you have changed the name and label in the dictionary and not on the form. The label that is shown on the tablet comes from the form not the dictionary. In CSPro 6.1 and earlier the label on the form does not update when the label in the dictionary changes. If you want to change the label that you see on the tablet you will need to edit the label on the form. In CSPro 6.2, when you drop a dictionary item onto a form, by default the form label is linked to the dictionary label so changing the dictionary will automatically update the label on the form. In earlier versions you will need to edit both the dictionary label and the label on the form.
sjonabro

Post by sjonabro »

aah! I see... I was changing the variable in the dictionary, not on the form. Thanks.
reeve

Post by reeve »

Now *that* is a good motivation to get me to upgrade to 6.2!
sjonabro

Post by sjonabro »

Josh,
A follow up on this, will the labels in the "forms" section appear in the tablet, and the labels in the "Dictionary" section then be used as the exported labels in the data?
(I am using v6.1)
Aniseh
josh

Post by josh »

Yes, you are correct. Export uses the dictionary labels but data entry uses the form labels. In 6.2 you can make them linked but in 6.1 they are always separate so if you change one you need change the other manually.