Consequences of the Len value modification in a dictionnary while using the data entry application

Discussions about CSEntry
benito

Consequences of the Len value modification in a dictionnary while using the data entry application

Post by benito »

Hi dear all,

I hope this message finds you well.

Will it be possible to modify the Len value for an item in the dictionnary while collecting data through the data entry application?

What will be the consequences for the other items?

Best regards.

Benito.
Mariovaisman

Re: Consequences of the Len value modification in a dictionnary while using the data entry application

Post by Mariovaisman »

Dear Benito,
About the situation when you want to change the length of a dictionary variable, it depend of the datafile type you are using, If you are using text files, then the situation is complex because you need to conver the datafiles to the new variabe size, there is an util to do it.
Howeer if you are using csdb datafiles and the CSPro version is 7.5 or above, and you are using CSWeb 7.5 or above, if you are using the deploy util to update the application in the tablet, then modify the dictionary size, deploy to the csweb server with the new dictionary definition, include the dictionary in the deploy, and that is all, because the csdb database is organized by fields.
Hope this information can help you.

Mario
sherrell

Re: Consequences of the Len value modification in a dictionnary while using the data entry application

Post by sherrell »

>Will it be possible to modify the Len value for an item in the dictionnary while collecting data through the data entry application?

Whether using a DAT or CSDB file I would avoid modifying variable lengths, whether to shorten or lengthen. If you must change something, I would introduce a new variable and place it at the end of a record, and "discard" (stop using) the original variable (make a note in the label to indicate this).