Asterix (*) in my data

Other discussions about CSPro
Forum rules
New release: CSPro 8.0
atr

Asterix (*) in my data

Post by atr »

Any reason why I have asterix in my datafile as well in the exported data. It looks fine in the screen design. Thanks in advance
htuser

Re: Asterix (*) in my data

Post by htuser »

Hi,
You have this because you have changed dictionary without formating data. Normally, you can do this without having asterix, but only if you add items or records at the end part of the dictionary.
Now, your data is corrupted. I don't think you can retrieve.Maybe, if you have activated paradata for item (Paradata Options---Partial Collection Options-- Field values), maybe you can always have a way to recover this item value (theses items values).

Hope this help you,
G.VOLNY, a CSProuser from Haiti, since 2004
Gregory Martin

Post by Gregory Martin »

The asterisks come if you have a value that is DEFAULT:

http://www.csprousers.org/help/CSPro/sp ... alues.html

As was mentioned, this usually occurs because:

1) You modified the length of certain dictionary items so that the old data can no longer be read. If this is the case, then you will need to use the Reformat Data tool to convert your old data to the new format. To do this, you will need a copy of your old dictionary.

2) Your data is invaild. For example, if you have a two-digit field AGE and then assign AGE = 300, then it will be written out as DEFAULT (with the asterisks).
atr

Post by atr »

Thanks to both of you for the reply....much appreciated.
Best,