Collecting clinical data after the interview

Other discussions about CSPro
Forum rules
New release: CSPro 8.0
claudia

Collecting clinical data after the interview

Post by claudia »

Hi,

As part of my survey, after each interview I want to collect data from clinical records for each participant (only if they agree to it). This data must be linked to the interviews and I wonder what the best way is to do this.
Should I just create a last record for this data at the end of the questionnaire, and once the interview is over the interviewers save the data with "partial save" and open it up again later to enter the clinical data? Or should I create a whole separate questionnaire? In that case, how can I ensure that the interview questionnaire and clinical data questionnaire are linked?

I'd be very grateful if you could advise on what the most practical and safest option is.

Many thanks,
Claudia
claudia

Re: Collecting clinical data after the interview

Post by claudia »

Hi,

I notice no one has replied to this post; maybe the question isn't clear, so I'll try to formulate it another way.

Is there a way of creating for each particpant two separate "entries" (not sure how to call them) that are linked (one is the actual interview by questionnaire and the other one includes the clinical data collected after the interview); or is it more advisable to simply add a record at the end of my data entry program, where the interviewers can record the clinical data after having saved the questionnaire in "partial save"?

I would like to have your opinion on what is the most practical and safest option (in order not to loose or misplace any data).

Many thanks,
Claudia
aaronw

Post by aaronw »

Sorry for the delay. I think either approach will work.

Adding the clinical record to the end of your survey is the simpler of the two approaches.

The alternative is going to take a bit more work. You'll need to add menu and clinical applications. The menu application will loop through your original survey and create dynamic value sets for each case that the participant has agreed to allow for collection of clinical records. The value set will use the unique case id as the value set code. When one of these value sets is selected the case id can be used to launch the clinical application in add/modify mode. The two cases (entries) will be linked by the shared case id.

When making this decision I would take into consideration the size of your survey, workflow of your survey, and comfort level with CSPro. If this is a small survey and your still learning CSPro take the first approach. If this is a large survey and you need a more robust solution then I would consider the second approach.
claudia

Post by claudia »

Hi,

many thanks indeed for your reply. I would feel safer with the more robust solution but I admit it sounds complicated to me, as I don't have much cspro experience and need to start tyhe survey soon. I will have a sample of 700, not sure whether that's considered large or small (I guess it's all relative...). So I think I'll go for the easier option.

Thanks,
Claudia
aaronw

Post by aaronw »

The risk I saw with first option was that an otherwise complete questionnaire could accidentally be edited when adding the clinical record. Option two was my attempt to minimize this risk by adding a questionnaire, instead of editing the existing questionnaire.

I don't see a huge advantage between the two approaches for a sample size of 700. I agree with you. Keep it simple and take the first option. Good luck!