Changing to CSPro v7

Other discussions about CSPro
Forum rules
New release: CSPro 8.0
claudia

Changing to CSPro v7

Post by claudia »

Hi,
I have cretaed my whole CAPI data entry in Cspro version 6.3. Before starting the survey and collecting data, I want to set up synchronisation from my android tablet to dropbox but I get an error message saying that synchronisation is not supported to dropbox in this version so if I understand correctly I need to update to version 7. How can I do this without losing my data ?

Many thanks!
Gregory Martin

Re: Changing to CSPro v7

Post by Gregory Martin »

CSPro is backwards compatible, for the most part, so your programs will not have to change when you move to CSPro 7.0. CSPro 7.0 should run your programs in the same way that CSPro 6.3 did.

However, if you want to sync your data with Dropbox, then you will have to:

1) Use the CSPro DB data file format (instead of text).

2) Set up a new sync routine: http://www.csprousers.org/help/CSPro/sy ... imple.html
claudia

Post by claudia »

Hi,
thank you for your reply.

Could you kindly give me more detail on when/how to use the DB data format rather than text?

Thanks!
Gregory Martin

Post by Gregory Martin »

The CSPro DB format is mostly useful if you want to use CSPro's data synchronization features. Some future development (e.g., storing images in a data file) may only occur in the CSPro DB format, so if you want to use the most up-to-date features, you will want to use CSPro DB.

If you want to use Dropbox synchronization, you will want to use the CSPro DB format.

You can always convert data from CSPro DB to text (using the Data Viewer tool), so you can move back and forth between the formats.
claudia

Post by claudia »

Thank you for the explanation.

And how do I use this DB format?
If I understood well, I'll download CRpro v7.0 and open my old files on the new version. But how exactly do I use this DB? Where do I find it? Is it something I need to create, or convert...?
Sorry if I'm a bit slow but I don't know where to find the DB files.

Thanks
claudia

Post by claudia »

... in fact I'll specify my question:

I have now installed cspro 7.0.2 and in the data viewer I am trying to convert what you call text files to cspro DB. However, I don't know which text files I am supposed to convert to DB. What extension do they have? Is it the dictionary or other files?

Just as a reminder, the reason I am switching to cspro 7 and that you have advised to use DB format is that I want to be able to sync the collected data from tablets to dropbox.

Many thanks!
Gregory Martin

Post by Gregory Martin »

When you run your data entry program, you'll see a column on the right that shows what kind of data file you are working with. CSPro DB files have the extension .csdb.
csdb.png
csdb.png (4.78 KiB) Viewed 7466 times
If you are starting a new data collection operation, simply make sure that the data file has the extension .csdb. You do not have to convert old text files to CSPro DB unless you want to sync previously collected data.
claudia

Post by claudia »

Thank you very much for your quick reply.

So if understand correctly, I only need to use DB format for the data that I'll collect (and not for the data entry files such as dictionary and other). Is this right?

In the comun you mention, I tried changing "text" to "csprodb" but I get the following error message: "the selected file is not in cspro DB format. Please choose a different file or set the source type to text".

What am I doing wrong?
Gregory Martin

Post by Gregory Martin »

CSPro DB is only for data files, not for dictionaries or other files.

If you want to open an existing file as a CSPro DB file, then you need to use the convert option in Data Viewer. That is why you are getting the error message.

If you create a new file, then you will not have a problem selecting CSPro DB.
claudia

Post by claudia »

Hi,

ok so if I understand correctly it is once I collect the data with the tablets that I need to ensure I collect them in a DB format.

I installed cspro v 7.0.2 but am unable to open the .ent file I had created with v 6.3. Any idea why?
Attachments
photo_2018-03-14_15-04-11.jpg
photo_2018-03-14_15-04-11.jpg (170.31 KiB) Viewed 7419 times
photo_2018-03-14_15-04-16.jpg
photo_2018-03-14_15-04-16.jpg (165.8 KiB) Viewed 7419 times
photo_2018-03-14_15-04-20.jpg
photo_2018-03-14_15-04-20.jpg (166.07 KiB) Viewed 7419 times