Menu App With External Dict

Other discussions about CSPro
Forum rules
New release: CSPro 8.0
Mutanen Lau

Menu App With External Dict

Post by Mutanen Lau »

I developed a community survey application. the application collects both the household information from selected households, and community profile which is collected once for every community. i build MENU in order for the interviewers to select either household questionnaire or community questionnaire so to MENU application i added the external dictionaries for the two questionnaires. Also in both the Household and Community questionnaire i added another external dictionary to lookup regional information such as district, village, etc. the look up dictionary works well in the individual questionnaire (i.e i tested it with both the household and community questionnaires separately) but when i used it in the menu it does not work. please how can i overcome this challenge.

Regards
josh

Re: Menu App With External Dict

Post by josh »

I think you will need to post your application so we can see what is happening.
Mutanen Lau

Post by Mutanen Lau »

Dear Josh,
Find below the entire application

Regards
Attachments
Community Survey 2017.rar
(149.97 KiB) Downloaded 308 times
josh

Post by josh »

You are missing a lot of files in what you posted. I see the .ent and .dcf files but not the other files.
Mutanen Lau

Post by Mutanen Lau »

Dear Josh,
What are other files do i missed? i thought that is all you need. please let me know the other files so i can post it right away.
I m so sorry.
josh

Post by josh »

You also need the files that end in .ent.apc, .ent.mgf, .ent.qsf, .fmf. Usually easiest to zip up the whole folder or to use the Pack Application tool from the Tools menu.
Mutanen Lau

Post by Mutanen Lau »

Dear Josh,
this is the entire application folder. hopefully i did not miss anything.
Regards
Attachments
Community Survey 2017.zip
(549.03 KiB) Downloaded 344 times
josh

Post by josh »

I can open the application now. Where in the menu program are you having a problem with the lookup file? I looked in the program named "MENU" but I don't see where the external dictionary is used.
Mutanen Lau

Post by Mutanen Lau »

Dear Josh'
The MENU actually has two external dictionary (PVHH and Community) and each of this Dictionary (i.e PVHH and Community) has an external dictionary Wards that contains a data for th state, LGA, and Ward. the MENU is suppose to serve as the entry to and exit out of the application that is from MENU you can choose to launch either the community or PVHH. the MENU does not use ward dictionary. PVHH and Community use the ward_dict to look up the ward base on the LGA and State. i tested the lookup in individual PVHH and Community application separately and there is no problem but when i bundle the application so that i can use it from MENU it doesn't work (if i enter LGA and State it does not display the expected ward). the data for the WARDS_DICT is named as ward.csdb.
josh

Post by josh »

The problem is that when you write out the pff files to launch the other applications from the menu you are missing the lines in the pff file to associate the external dictionary with the data file. Add the following lines to your functions CommunityPFF() and HouseholdPFF() just before closing the file.
filewrite(pffFile,"[ExternalFiles]");
filewrite(pffFile,"WARDS_DICT=%s",filename(WARDS_DICT));