Do Cspro an open source project

What would you like to see in CSPro?
Forum rules
New release: CSPro 8.0

Do Cspro an open source project

Post by Guest »

In his category, Cspro is the best framework in the world (exception for blaise). Nevertheless, the developer of this program doesn't hear about user request. Since the first version every user in the world ask for develop module to store data directly in DBMS using ODBC. But, until now, the responsible seem blind and surd...
It's why we request that Cspro to be released in a open source project so that user can develop their own module.

Regards,
Gregory Martin

Re: Do Cspro an open source project

Post by Gregory Martin »

At times the Census Bureau has given out code for CSPro, so if you are a developer, you should contact them and ask for some of the source code. For instance, other software packages have created ways to read or write CSPro dictionaries and data files, and they have gotten code from the Census Bureau to help with that.

I agree that support for using databases should be added to CSPro, and the developers have expressed interest in adding that feature. Perhaps it will be done at some point...
Haitianuser

Post by Haitianuser »

I would like to customize and traduce Csentry in french or creol. So that i would like to receive code for. Please can you inform me what compiler it's better for (i think Cspro is coded in C++).
Sincerely yours.
lestcape

Post by lestcape »

I'm try to create my own designer, because I don't see the CSpro source code any where, and i want to add support for an Speech API

My project data is:

- Technology: JavaFX (Linux, Windows, Mac). IOs and Android support: http://gluonhq.com/labs/javafxports/
- Open Source.
- Dictionary Editor: Done.
- Code Editor: Will be for Java language (using reflection) instead of the CSPro specific language.
- Form Editor: 50% done.
- CAPI question editor: Will be in pure HTML.
- Tabulation: No, we will use a client-server architecture and tabulation is in the server side.
- Web-services support: Yes will have.
- Several Brackens support (Where and how we will handled the persistent data).
- Plugins support: Planned and will be done using Java reflection.
- Speech API: JSAPI

I think, release the code will be helpfully.
Gregory Martin

Post by Gregory Martin »

We sometimes talk about what it would take to make CSPro an open source project, and we would be excited to have users all around the world contribute to the project.

Unfortunately, I don't have any decision making power regarding this decision. If you would like to see this become a reality, I suggest that you email cspro@lists.census.gov and indicate that you would like to see CSPro become open source.

Several people see emails at that address, including the head of CSPro development.
RussMarange

Post by RussMarange »

Guest wrote:In his category, Cspro is the best framework in the world (exception for blaise). Nevertheless, the developer of this program doesn't hear about user request. Since the first version every user in the world ask for develop module to store data directly in DBMS using ODBC. But, until now, the responsible seem blind and surd...
It's why we request that Cspro to be released in a open source project so that user can develop their own module.

Regards,
For now you can export to softwares like spss, then further to DBMS like MSSQL , that is what am doing, i also second your point, it will make survey management more easier and user friendly
RussMarange