Publish Entry Application (pen) for batch applications

What would you like to see in CSPro?
Forum rules
New release: CSPro 8.0
AriSilva

Publish Entry Application (pen) for batch applications

Post by AriSilva »

You can look at a pen file as an executable program, like an .exe or .jar file.
And by being an executable, from my point of view, it has several "fringe benefits", or several "niceties", or good "side effects", depending the way you see it.
For example:
1. You do not have to distribute the source program.
2. It protects the source program against users that inadvertently (or not) try to "improve" your program.
3. You can have hidden values (passwords, etc.) inside the programs. For example, in my case I have a program that has to be used by different level of people, and this will be established by the user´s password.
4. You can have hidden algorithms to validate certain information.
5. You can "copywright" your code.
6. Etc

So, why not extend the pen facility to CSPro batch (and table) programs as well?
Best
Ari
Gregory Martin

Re: Publish Entry Application (pen) for batch applications

Post by Gregory Martin »

This is a good idea, and we've thought about even allowing batch applications to be run on Android devices, which we could do if we could support .pen files for batch applications. This is technically feasible, but it would require quite a bit of work on our end to translate all of the non-entry functionality to the "portable" environment. This may be something that we do in the future, but it is currently not on our priority list.
AriSilva

Re: Publish Entry Application (pen) for batch applications

Post by AriSilva »

What I´m doing now is simulating a data entry application with a menu, and after that executing functions with forcase with the main file.
Of course this is not good because I´m loosing thousands of facilities like the errormsgs connected to the cases, cannot use errmsg at all, since it goes online, everything (all the communications) has to go to write files, etc, but...
Best
Ari