Best practices in data collection

What would you like to see in CSPro?
Forum rules
New release: CSPro 8.0
Merlino

Best practices in data collection

Post by Merlino »

I would like to hear from those who have experience in the collection of census data on how best to record the semi-open items (items with a valueset "other to be precise") in case phones are used for data collection and transfer.
In case the number of semi-open items is large enough, is it appropriate to create each time another item to store the accuracy of the semi-open item or so is it better to use "editnote" to record the accuracy whenever the valueset "other to be precise" was chosen?
josh

Re: Best practices in data collection

Post by josh »

My preference is to use a dictionary variable for the other (specify) values. It takes up more space in the data file but these days we worry less about file size. I prefer this approach to the notes method as it is simpler to program. The advantage of using editnote() to store the other specify in the notes field is that it doesn't take up space in the data file but then processing the other specify files from the notes is more complicated since you have to write a batch program to extract the values from the notes file. In addition when using the editnote() approach if the enumerator uses the case tree to move around the questionnaire and advances through a field with an other value then the note dialog pops up even when the hadn't tapped on that field.

That is my opinion, Greg used the notes approach for a big survey in Namibia and it has worked fine. He came up with some tricks to avoid the notes dialog popping up when advancing. I feel it simpler to use dictionary variables and I like simple solutions.
Merlino

Re: Best practices in data collection

Post by Merlino »

Josh, thank for this very informative comment!