Getocclabel feature

What would you like to see in CSPro?
Forum rules
New release: CSPro 8.0
rcovane

Getocclabel feature

Post by rcovane »

Dear all,

I'm trying to use the rosters labels in my forms and I need it to be present when I export the data into spss or another data analysis environment and see the labels there. But all I tried so far failled. Is there an easy way to do it? I'm available to discuss this over Skype if necessary!
josh

Re: Getocclabel feature

Post by josh »

Export does not have an option to include the occurrence labels. You have a few options.

1) Write code in SPSS to add them based on the occurrence number. You can copy paste the occurrence labels from the CSPro designer to SPSS and then join the labels to the data cases.

2) Add an alpha variable to the roster and copy the labels into that alpha variable using a CSPro batch application. You would use getlabel() in your batch application.

3) Create a copy of your CSPro data dictionary in which the occurrences are flattened. This will work if you have the occurrences on a repeating item, not for a record with occurrences. Make a copy of the dictionary and then open the copy of the dictionary and in it select the repeating item, right click and choose "Flatten occurrences". This creates a separate variable for each occurrence. You can then set the labels of each these new variables to match the occurrence labels and use this dictionary for export.
rcovane

Post by rcovane »

josh wrote:Export does not have an option to include the occurrence labels. You have a few options.

1) Write code in SPSS to add them based on the occurrence number. You can copy paste the occurrence labels from the CSPro designer to SPSS and then join the labels to the data cases.

2) Add an alpha variable to the roster and copy the labels into that alpha variable using a CSPro batch application. You would use getlabel() in your batch application.

3) Create a copy of your CSPro data dictionary in which the occurrences are flattened. This will work if you have the occurrences on a repeating item, not for a record with occurrences. Make a copy of the dictionary and then open the copy of the dictionary and in it select the repeating item, right click and choose "Flatten occurrences". This creates a separate variable for each occurrence. You can then set the labels of each these new variables to match the occurrence labels and use this dictionary for export.
Thank you josh. I'll try to do this.

I found "MyCAPI_Intro" data entry application tutorial in one of the forums. There is a simple tutorial like this for a normal (desktop based) application? I want to train a coleague and need some simple apications to do so.
josh

Post by josh »

For key from paper desktop applications there is a good tutorial in the getting started guide in the online help. From CSPro open help, click on the contents tab, open "getting started" and you will see tutorial. If you want to print it out there is a PDF version on our website at http://www.census.gov/population/intern ... tart61.pdf. There is also a series of videos that cover the same tutorial that you view at http://www.census.gov/population/intern ... ideos.html.
rcovane

Post by rcovane »

josh wrote:For key from paper desktop applications there is a good tutorial in the getting started guide in the online help. From CSPro open help, click on the contents tab, open "getting started" and you will see tutorial. If you want to print it out there is a PDF version on our website at http://www.census.gov/population/intern ... tart61.pdf. There is also a series of videos that cover the same tutorial that you view at http://www.census.gov/population/intern ... ideos.html.
Thanks once again. You guys are helpping me to move from noob to intermediate!