Can't create tables (Invalid CrossTab Parameter)

Discussions about tabulating data in the designer or in batch mode
Forum rules
New release: CSPro 8.0
Don

Can't create tables (Invalid CrossTab Parameter)

Post by Don »

I realise that I cannot create any tables. I recently discovered the problem while using version 4.1 but it persisted even when I upgraded to version 5.0. When I create a table and try to run it, it shows me the table source code:

Code: Select all

{Application 'TEST2' logic file generated by CSPro}
PROC GLOBAL 

PROC TABLE1
{Generated Code}
Tally
CROSSTAB TABLE1 AGE_VS2, SEX_VS1
STAT AGE_VS2 (TOTAL, FREQ) SEX_VS1 (TOTAL, FREQ) 
UNIT (AGE_VS2 by SEX_VS1) POPULATION
ENDUNIT 
;
With the error message "Invalid CrossTab Parameter", and there's a red dot next to the line "STAT AGE_VS2 (TOTAL, FREQ) SEX_VS1 (TOTAL, FREQ) "

Also, while creating the table, if I go into Tally Attributes (Table) and press "OK" I get the same error message as a pop up.

Is there any reason why this would happen? It works fine on my colleagues computer that runs version 4.1. My computer is running Windows 7 Professional while my colleague is running Windows XP Professional if that has anything to do with it.
Gregory Martin

Re: Can't create tables (Invalid CrossTab Parameter)

Post by Gregory Martin »

Did you at one point do any work on a Demographic and Health Survey? There are some registry / environment settings that affect how the tables are compiled, and I'm wondering if that is what is causing the problem. People who have previously worked on DHS projects sometimes have issues. If you haven't, I am not sure why your application would work on one machine but not another. Can you post your test table here, or email it to me: gregory.martin@census.gov.
Don

Post by Don »

I haven't been working on Demographic and Health Survey. However you may still advise me as though I have. I've attached the table application but I suspect that the problem lies within my computer setup. Re-installing CSPro doesn't help.
Attachments
test2.zip
(19.73 KiB) Downloaded 731 times
Gregory Martin

Post by Gregory Martin »

I believe that the problem is indeed with a system environment variable that is causing CSPro to process the tables in an old fashion. To disable this variable (these directions are for a Windows XP machine but they apply to Vista/7/8 as well):

1) Launch Windows System Properties. (You can do this by holding down the Windows key and pressing Break on the keyboard.)

2) Select the Advanced tab.

3) Click on Environment Variables.

4) In the System Variables section, search for something saying OLD_TABS. It will probably have a value of Y.

5) Delete this variable.

Let me know if, after following these steps, you are still unable to create tables.
Don

Post by Don »

Thank you very much! I found the OLD_TABS variable with a value of Y just like you said. Deleting this variable solved the problem.
hasseb432

Post by hasseb432 »

Is it possible to filter from value sets instead of value in Universe?
In the Edit Universe wizard, value sets appears in Dictionary Tree but it is not possible to write in Universe someting like [VALUE_VS2 = 1]. The system message display "Invalid Universe Syntax".