Exporting Field Notes to stata

Discussions about tabulating data in the designer or in batch mode
Forum rules
New release: CSPro 8.0
kdonovan94

Exporting Field Notes to stata

Post by kdonovan94 »

Hi:

When I export our data into Stata, our field note observations get truncated. Anyone else have this problem? We are not sure if it is happening on the Stata or CSPro side of things. The stata string lengths seem arbitrarily set, is there any way in CSPro to set certain fields to longer string lengths?

Thanks,
Katy
Gregory Martin

Re: Exporting Field Notes to stata

Post by Gregory Martin »

How long are your strings? I don't have Stata on the current laptop I'm using so I can't test this, but I'm guessing that this is a Stata problem, not a CSPro problem. I tested exporting a 999 character string, and my Stata.dct file has the following code:

Code: Select all

infix dictionary using "C:\Users\Insete\Desktop\New folder\Exported.dat" {
1 lines
    str      long_string    1:   1-999
}
The export is correctly specifying the length of the string.

This website, http://www.survey-design.com.au/overview.html, says Stata "can handle string variables with a maximum length of 244 characters."
Tripple26

Re: Exporting Field Notes to stata

Post by Tripple26 »

I am assuming that your dictionary might contain a minimum of two records. the first being the PERSON record and the second is the HOUSE record. I am also assuming that your PERSON record also contains a data item called RELATIONSHIP and in your HOUSE record there is possibly a data item called OCCUPANCY. So to identify the number of householdHead then we can do this ...