Improper Universe

Discussions about tabulating data in the designer or in batch mode
Forum rules
New release: CSPro 8.0
ALIM

Improper Universe

Post by ALIM »

Hello,
I am very new to CSPro. I am tabulating data from the 2010 Census. I am gathering a variety of information on households. One of the things I need to gather are the number of households with "housing problems" such as those that lack kitchen facilities, plumbing facilities, with more than 1 person per room, and with a cost burden greater than 30% of their income.

I have tallied the total number of households within a certain income group. However, for some reason when I breakdown that total to identify households who at least meet ONE of those "housing problems", I am getting a total that exceeds the income group. I believe my universe to be the problem. Here's an example: unittype = 0 and pnum = 1 and hinc <> 0 and (kitchen = 2 or plumbing = 2 or opr in 3:5 or grapi in 31:50)

Unittype = 0 - housing units only
Pnum= 1 - will only pull out the householder (or head of household's) ethnic background
Hinc <> 0 - do not count households with zero/negative income
Kitchen = 2 - lacks kitchen facilities
Plumbing = 2 - lacks plumbing facilities
Opr in 3:5 - More than 1 person per room
Grapi in 31:50 - households who spend more than 30% but less than 50% of their income on rent

Any thoughts on how I can fix this? Or what I am doing wrong.
josh

Re: Improper Universe

Post by josh »

I don't see anything obviously wrong with your universe statement but these things can hard to find without looking at the dictionary and the data. Usually with these kinds of problems the way to narrow down the problem is to gradually simplify by removing one condition at a time from your universe to see if it works correctly with a less complicated statement.

Also verify that the unit of tabulation is set to the housing record. If you have mistakenly added an item from the population record then your unit of tabulation could be set to population in which case you are counting people not households.

If neither of these cases help then you can send us your tabulation application with a small sample of your data and we can take a look.