Export to Stata

Discussions about tools to complement CSPro data processing
maureen86

Export to Stata

Post by maureen86 »

I am having trouble exporting data from CSPro to STATA. I was able to run the export without issue on my computer when testing before. Now when I run the export tool, though, it says that "the run batch program has stopped responding." The odd part is that the export of the same data using the same saved export document and data dictionary work on a different computer. I tried exporting to other file types, exporting just one record, and other tinkering with the export settings and all result in the same error on my machine. My computer is a Lenovo Ideapad and I am running Windows 8.

The problem I have seems to be the same as in this Forum:

http://csprousers.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=989

If someone was able to help this person resolve their issue, would you mind sharing how?

I also attached a screenshot of the error I receive on my computer when I run the export. Any insights/advice you could provide would be much appreciated!

Thank you!
Attachments
Export Error.PNG
Export Error.PNG (30.13 KiB) Viewed 6721 times
josh

Re: Export to Stata

Post by josh »

Just as with the post you link to, it is difficult to tell what the problem is from that error message. If you can post or private message the dictionary, export spec and data we can take a look at it here. As with the other post, you should try opening the batch application that is generated in the same directory as your export spec to see if you can see an error with it.
maureen86

Post by maureen86 »

Hi Josh,

Thank you for responding. It seems the issue is with my computer/system itself, not with the underlying documents. I am able to export the data using all of the same export spec documents on other computers, just not on my own computer. The only difference I see between when I run the export application on my own computer and when I run it on other computers is when I define the names of the export documents. On other machines, after naming the export file, I am asked twice if I want to create the document after giving a name. On my computer, I am asked three times: once before naming the document and twice after giving name.

How do you look at the batch application? I can look to see if there is something more descriptive in the log there.

Also, how do I private message? When I go to write a message it says that I am not authorized to do so.

Thank you for your help!

Maureen
josh

Post by josh »

Possible differences between your system where the export fails and ones where it works that come to mind are the Region and Language Settings (number format in particular has caused problems in the past) and file permissions (do you have write permissions to all the directories involved).

In older versions of CSPro (the last time I used export) the batch application was created in the same directory as your export specification but it looks like these days it is created in a temporary folder. You can find the location of it by opening the CSExpRun.lst file in TextView or Notepad and looking at the first line. On my machine the batch application is written to C:\Users\Josh\AppData\Local\Temp\CSExpRun6300.bch. When export works without error this file is deleted automaticly but sometimes with errors it gets left around.

I'm not sure why you can't send a PM. I don't control the discussion forum so I'll have to check with the person who does and get back to you. In the meantime if you want to send me your application you can email it to csprojosh@gmail.com.