FTP differences between windows and android clients

Discussions about syncing data via Bluetooth, Dropbox, FTP, and using CSWeb
Forum rules
New release: CSPro 8.0
Mariovaisman

FTP differences between windows and android clients

Post by Mariovaisman »

Hello,
I found a difference when tried to connect with a FTP server from different devices. When I did it from a windows ftp client, the root folder was the default folder defined in the FTP server from where I have rights, however it was not the real root folder. When I tested using an android tablet, the same app didn't work properly, and found that to get a file from the server, I had to inform the full path of the server file.
Accessing to the FTP server using the FTP command in cmd environment, when I executed a ls -l or dir, it showed me the files and folders from the default folder assigned to me, means the same result that using the app in a windows computer; however from that position in windows I could execute "chdir .." and the ftp server showed me one level up folder that I don't have rights, in other words, when the syncronization starts in windows, the root folder is the default.

In android, the root is the top level of folders and not the default assigned to my ftp user.

I think that the behavior in both environments have to be the same, and it is not happening.

Thanks

Mario
josh

Re: FTP differences between windows and android clients

Post by josh »

Interesting. I have not seen that before with the servers I have tested with. You are correct that they should behave the same. The root folder on the server should always be the home folder of the user you log in with (as it is configured on the FTP server).

Could you send me the sync.log from the Android device and also sync.log from the Windows PC when accessing the same server. This will give me some info about the server might be helpful in trying to reproduce the problem.
Mariovaisman

Post by Mariovaisman »

Thanks Josh for your early reply.
The application is working in CSPro 7.0 and I don't see the sync.log in windows neither in Android, where I can find those files.

Comming back to the issue, the default folder I see in this server is not the root, however when I access it in windows it is located in the default, if I try to go a folder up, I can see the structure, however I don't have rights to create/modify/delete. Also in windows, if I use the FTP command from cmd, when I see where I am located, it is in the default and also I can go a folder up to see the structure. In android the default folder is always the root which it is not the default I see in windows. Will test with a free FTP program (in android) to see if the starting folder is the default or the root, and in case is the root, it is not CSPro problem, and I have to redefine the FTP server I am using.

Thanks

Mario
josh

Post by josh »

On Android sync.log is in the csentry folder. On Windows it is in C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\CSPro.
Mariovaisman

Post by Mariovaisman »

Josh, I will come back later with this issue, and I forgot to explain that the cspro android version was 7.1

Now I have other issue that I explain right now.

In windoews the access to the FTP server is going well, however when I use the cspro version 7.0 for android, it gives me an error which is "Invalid Username and password", when I test in 7.1 it works fine. In each test I used the pen version equal to the cspro version.

How I can manage the situation in 7.0, because it is the current version, or I have to move to version 7.1

Thanks

Mario
josh

Post by josh »

Please use CSPro 7.1. We will be making the official 7.1 release very soon so we are not going back to look at problems in 7.0 anymore.
mathur_rakesh

Post by mathur_rakesh »

Mariovaisman wrote: March 7th, 2018, 5:46 pm Hello,
I found a difference when tried to connect with a FTP server from different devices. When I did it from a windows ftp client, the root folder was the default folder defined in the FTP server from where I have rights, however it was not the real root folder. When I tested using an android tablet, the same app didn't work properly, and found that to get a file from the server, I had to inform the full path of the server file.
Accessing to the FTP server using the FTP command in cmd environment, when I executed a ls -l or dir, it showed me the files and folders from the default folder assigned to me, means the same result that using the app in a windows computer; however from that position in windows I could execute "chdir .." and the ftp server showed me one level up folder that I don't have rights, in other words, when the syncronization starts in windows, the root folder is the default.

In android, the root is the top level of folders and not the default assigned to my ftp user.

I think that the behavior in both environments have to be the same, and it is not happening.

Thanks

Mario
[This problem is still we are facing, can anyone have solution ]
mathur_rakesh

Post by mathur_rakesh »

Hi Josh,

As mention by Mario, we also face same problem. In windows, it's working fine but for Android device it showing error. please suggest
aaronw

Post by aaronw »

What version of CSPro were the applications built with and what version of CSEntry are on the Android devices?
josh

Post by josh »

And what FTP server are you using?