Problems with data synchronization to and from Dropbox

Discussions about syncing data via Bluetooth, Dropbox, FTP, and using CSWeb
Forum rules
New release: CSPro 8.0
acubed_101

Problems with data synchronization to and from Dropbox

Post by acubed_101 »

Dear all,
Am rather new with CSPro. I managed to have the pff and pen file on my Dropbox. However, I have been problems with how to synchronize the data directly to my Dropbox and from my Dropbox to the tablet.

Efforts made: I copied the pff and pen files to the Dropbox in order to synchronize it to the tablet. However, the Dropbox is not is not part of the options for synchronization of the tablet (the options are FTP server and My device).
I also downloaded the pff and pen files into the tablet. I tried to synchronize this with the tablet but it was always directing me to first upload the file via the FTP server.

Based on this, I will need your help regading:
1) If I have to copy the files directly to Dropbox or there is a way I can synchronize it directly from my PC.
2) How can I sychronize the file to the tablet via the Dropbox.

Looking forward to your response.

Thanks!
khurshid.arshad

Re: Problems with data synchronization to and from Dropbox

Post by khurshid.arshad »

Dear;

Please see this link for cspro 7 and above:
http://www.csprousers.org/forum/viewtop ... =11&t=2117

You can find more infromation on this forum.

SyncConnect Function (Dropbox)
This page describes the syncconnect function when connecting to Dropbox. For generalized information on the function, see the documentation for the syncconnect function.
Format
b = syncconnect(Dropbox);
Description
The syncconnect function opens a connection to Dropbox to synchronize data and files over the Internet. The first and only argument must be the keyword Dropbox. This requires an account with the online file sharing service Dropbox. The first time the connection is made, the user will see a prompt to enter the Dropbox username and password and these settings will be saved in secure storage for future synchronizations.
Example
// connect to Dropbox
if syncconnect(Dropbox) then

// get the latest versions of the application files from Dropbox
syncfile(GET,"/MyApp/MyApp.pff");
syncfile(GET,"/MyApp/MyApp.pen");

// send the latest cases to Dropbox
syncdata(PUT,SURVEY_DICT);

syncdisconnect();

endif;

best.
a.
josh

Post by josh »

For syncing data via Dropbox in version 7 check out this link: http://teleyah.com/cspro/How%20Do%20I%2 ... ropbox.pdf

There is currently no way to use Dropbox to do the initial deployment of your application (pen and pff file) to your device. Once you have copied the application to the device initially you can use Dropbox synchronization to update the files in case your application has changed. We are working on a feature for initial deployment of applications but it is not yet ready.
acubed_101

Post by acubed_101 »

Many thanks khurshid.arshad and Josh for your response!
@Josh, I also tried to copy the files in to my mobile but the application never accepts the files. The app kept asking me to upload the files via FTP. What would you recommend as a better and straightforward option as I do not have FTP account? Would cloud server also be an option in this respect?

Best.
josh

Post by josh »

For the initial deployment connect your Android device to a PC using a USB cable and copy the pen and pff to the csentry directory on your Android device.

To update the applications once they have already been deployed to the device you can use Dropbox. See the section entitled "Download the application (.pen, .pff) files" in the link I posted.
acubed_101

Post by acubed_101 »

Thanks @Josh