Dropbox Sync

Discussions about syncing data via Bluetooth, Dropbox, FTP, and using CSWeb
Forum rules
New release: CSPro 8.0
josh

Re: Dropbox Sync

Post by josh »

Are you getting an error message when you sync?

To download the data you need to use the DataViewer tool. Open DataViewer from the tools menu, choose Download from the files menu, select Dropbox, click Connect, pick your dictionary from the list, click "..." to choose a file to save to and click "Download".
Anysia

Post by Anysia »

Hi Josh No error , but the challenge is when i go into the dropbox ( (dropbox using webrowser) and the Data folder i cannot see the data.

I used the Data Viewer Tool and i selected the Dictionary. When i try download I now have this error " Error Opening file Data: The directory does not exist and could not be created". Please could you possible figure this problem. I am stack with a work am doing.
josh

Post by josh »

Data sync doesn't create a data file in the Dropbox per se. It creates a bunch of different files that need to get combined by the DataViewer (or another device syncing). You can see these files in the folder Dropbox\CSPro\DataSync but to use them you will want to use DataViewer.

The error you are getting when Downloading in DataViewer is because you are entering just a filename and not giving it a directory. Instead of typing the filename, use the browse button (the button with ... on it) to choose a directory and enter a filename.
Anysia

Post by Anysia »

Thanks so much I am now getting the understanding sync with dropbox . Please Josh if i use the ... to open the directory what next , am suppose to select the folder on my machine that point to the file? little confused pls. I can see info.json in my dropbox CSPro directory , seems am almost there ... help me out now Jost. Thanks
Anysia

Post by Anysia »

Thanks Josh ... i can now i get it using the data viewer tool.... but my file for the main application is empty... can i send you my app to check the problem. Thanks
josh

Post by josh »

You can send the app although I doubt the problem is going to be in your app.

Do you see any files in the Dropbox under Dropbox/CSPro/DataSync/<your dictionary name>/data? You should see some files there with really long names. If that directory is empty then you haven't done a sync yet to upload data to the Dropbox. You need to sync from whatever tablet/phone/PC you did the data entry on so that there is something to download.

If there are files in that directory but no cases appear when you download it using DataViewer then look at the sync.log file on the PC you are running DataViewer on. You can find this file in C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\CSPro

If that doesn't offer any clues then zip up the directory Dropbox/CSPro/DataSync from Dropbox on your PC and send it to me.
josh

Post by josh »

The problem is that in you are using two different data files.

In the data entry application (iHopeA) your main data file is Sync/DataA/partA. This files contains the data that you entered.

In the menu application the data file associated with the dictionary is Sync/DataA/DataA.csdb. This is an empty data file.

So when you do the sync the empty data is the one being used so nothing is getting uploaded.

You need to have both applications use the same data file. Modify the .pff files for one or the other applications so that both the data files are the same. Note that for sync this needs to be a .csdb file.
Anysia

Post by Anysia »

Josh
Thanks so much for the support , i can now see my data ... i think the new sync is awesome !! Great job Cspro Team...
Anysia

Post by Anysia »

Josh, I am gradually getting there... i need this help i had this code picked from the example to launch the main application my problem is on the android tablet I have to copy both the .pff and .pen of the main application before it works. Previously one need to just put the .pff file to launch it... the problem here is that when i put both .pen and .pff in the csentry the apps appear for entry ... it confusing pls how do i go around this thanks

function launchDataEntry()

string pathToEntryApp = "../mainprogA/mainprogA.pff";

// Start household data entry
if execpff(pathToEntryApp, stop) = notappl then
errmsg("Failed to launch data entry");
endif;
end;
cspronatasha

Post by cspronatasha »

Hi,

I am used to using a .pnc file to deploy my survey onto tablets from Dropbox as well as for syncing the data back-up to Dropbox. I have tried using the syncconnect function in my logic but unable to see how one deploys it to many tablets through DropBox or is able to back up? Would you know how to do this without manually putting .pen and .pff files onto each tablet?

Many thanks in advance.

Best,
Natasha