Problem with publishing CSPro 7.1 application to .pen file for use in Android data collection

Discussions about creating CAPI applications to run on Android devices
Forum rules
New release: CSPro 8.0
gdupuis

Problem with publishing CSPro 7.1 application to .pen file for use in Android data collection

Post by gdupuis »

Hello,

I am working with an application that needs to be published to .pen for use in Android data collection. I first noticed a problem when trying to run the data collection application (Peel.pen) from my Android device with the latest CSEntry (it is called via a separate menu application, but also doesn't work when calling directly either with its own .pff). I believe the issue, or part of it, is a result of an error in attempting to publish the application to its .pen file.

When attempting to publish, the program slightly stalls (gives the typical Windows "Not responding" hanging window briefly) but then finishes. However, there is an empty (albeit 1KB) sized error file (Peel.ent.ERR) produced, and the Peel.pen file that is produced is only 60KB. I am expecting a MUCH larger file size since this version of the application was produced from a core version that publishes to an approximately 200KB .pen file.

To recreate the issue, I have attached the CSPack files (or if for some reason that doesn't work, I can send a link to the full set of applications):

- Open Peel.ent in the latest version of CSPro (7.1.3)
- Attempt to publish the entry application

Assuming it follows what others have also replicated, a .ERR file will be produced (which is empty) and a 60KB Peel.pen file should be produced.

Further background on attempts to debug: as mentioned, I noticed a problem initially when trying to run from CSEntry on my Androids. I was getting errors along the lines of the forum issue on running .pen files on Android (http://www.csprousers.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1707). However, when I placed dummy Peel.pen files (ex. our core program), everything runs perfectly smoothly, indicating that all folders and calls to applications are properly set up and mirroring what I have on my Windows laptop.

Thank you for any help/ideas!
Genevieve
Attachments
Peel.zip
(160.86 KiB) Downloaded 268 times
josh

Re: Problem with publishing CSPro 7.1 application to .pen file for use in Android data collection

Post by josh »

There is an error in your form file. One of the fields, V303, is listed twice under the same form (MOD_3_FORM). Normally, this should not happen if you create the form file in CSPro designer. Did you edit the form file by hand in a text editor? That could have caused this problem. If not, then it may be a bug in CSPro. In order to help us track down the issue could you tell us what you were doing with the application just before this error was introduced? Did you make change in the dictionary to any of the fields in that section? Did you do a "save as.."?

I am attaching a version of the form file with the repeated field removed. I am able to build the .pen with no error when I use this version.
Attachments
Peel.zip
(33.93 KiB) Downloaded 271 times
gdupuis

Re: Problem with publishing CSPro 7.1 application to .pen file for use in Android data collection

Post by gdupuis »

Thank you so much!! That variable actually does ring a bell. It had disappeared (in my mind, randomly) a few days prior, but I just assumed I had accidentally deleted it somehow when moving around the application - navigating my giant form file was a bit getting a bit slow and it seemed likely that I could have done something like that. I hadn't seen anything about that variable in the past few days after adding it back and assumed it was fine - everything had been opening smoothly etc. I don't believe I had attempted any text file editing of the form file, though I have been doing a lot of renaming variables and moving them around so I certainly won't suggest there is a bug at this point.

I will keep an eye on it in case it resurfaces and I have more clues for you. Thank you!
gdupuis

Post by gdupuis »

Hi Josh,

I have encountered a similar problem with a new program from one of my team members - we can reconstruct the form file to ensure there are no issues, but I am wondering how you were able to quickly identify the error in the form file (namely that there was a field that was repeated)? Or any tips on how to quickly resolve an issue with a form file that is compiling, but then the .pen file isn't being created properly. If you have any to share, thanks!

Genevieve
aaronw

Post by aaronw »

Unfortunately, there isn't a quick way to track down these sorts of issues. Fortunately, you all can reconstruct the forms. Make sure your colleague is editing all CSPro files in the designer.