Error on pen files for Android

Discussions about creating CAPI applications to run on Android devices
sebary

Error on pen files for Android

Post by sebary »

Hello,

I am very new using CSPro. I have been able to use the survey with the android tablets before but for some reason, everytime I produce the .pen & .pff files of my survey and transfer them to the Android tablet I receive the same error message: "Error reading the .pen file. Verify that the file exists and is a valid CSPro pen file".

As I mentioned, I have checked all of them, even the folder location.... but no success... can anyone help me?

However I still get this message.
On the PC the .pen file logo holds a lock... can anyone assist me with these issue?

Thanks in advance,
Sebary
appearance of .pen file in PC
appearance of .pen file in PC
penfile_vault.png (45.43 KiB) Viewed 4703 times
Error message in the Android tablet
Error message in the Android tablet
Screenshot_2016-11-02-17-47-08.jpeg (205.89 KiB) Viewed 4703 times
josh

Re: Error on pen files for Android

Post by josh »

Make sure that the file layout matches exactly the file layout on Windows. In other words, if on Windows you have:

MySurvey
Application
Application.pen
Application.pff
Data
Datafile.dat

Then you need the exact same file structure on Android. If the Data folder is missing or if the .pen and .pff files are in different folders then you will get the error message that you are seeing.

The other issue that can cause this error is if you are using an old version of CSEntry on Android and a newer version on Windows. You should use the same version on both.

If neither of those solves your problem then post your .pen and .pff files and we will take a look.
sebary

Re: Error on pen files for Android

Post by sebary »

Dear Josh,

Thanks for your quick reply!

Once I re-created the .pen file and try to run the .pff, I selected .pen file and switched the extension to .dat file.

Then, I copied everything to the tablet:
survey
survey.pen
survey.pff
survey.dat
survey.dat.lst
survey.dat.log
survey.dat.idx

it seams to work on the Android system. I hope it is OK to start surveying.

Thanks again!