Discussions about CSEntry
Forum rules
New release: CSPro 8.0
manojsoni

Updating same data in longitudinal study

Post by manojsoni »

Dear Sir
Greetings.
May be i have asked the some part of this query earlier to you and it is very much possible that i was not clear to you. But this time i am trying to ask in more precise way.
I have designed a two level application. First level represents HH and second Level represents Participants.

In First Level, I have

1.HH ID Items
2.HH information record.
3.HH Family member Roster which has variables, namely sno, Name,Age,Gender, STATUS and the most important Participant ID.that is automatically generated in the roster. [ Participant ID=HHID+sno+STATUS]

In Second Level, I have

1.Second Level ID items that is Participant ID coming from HH Roster.
2.For every Participant ID, there is separate detailed questionnaire to enter that depends on the total no. of participant found in Family Member Roster.
Challenge for me begins here.

All this is going to happen seven times namely.
1.Baseline Survey
2.1 st Updatation after Baseline
3.2nd Updatation after Baseline
4.3rd Updatation after Baseline
5.4th Updatation after Baseline
6.5th Updatation after Baseline
7.6th Updatation after Baseline

If i talk about Baseline, my application works perfectly. No Issue in that. Because all is going to be collected first time in baseline.
If i talk about Updatation, that is going to be for 6 times in the interval of 3 months after baseline.

By Updataion my mean is to say.We go to Same Household,
In First Level of application.

We may have changes in HH information record
Lets say for a household in Baseline we were having Contact number 123456 and now during 1st updataion it is 123499 etc. All i want to get all the entries pre filled, so wherever changes are there we change, and where there is no change, just keep those as prefilled.
We may have changes in Family members Roster. There are possibility like.

•New members can be added in Family. then New Participant IDs will be generated and application will allow to enter detailed questionnaire in second level.
•Members can be moved/ died/ No changes in as compared to Baseline. I will ask this for every member.
•STATUS can be changed. that is very important, As i mentioned in above section, Based on STATUS, Participant IDs are generated for Second level and detailed questionnaire are to be entered.

Example in Baseline for a household no. 01005:
We had 4 members

Sno Name Age Gender STATUS PARTICIPANT ID

1 A 72 MALE NA 0100501NA

2 B 28 FEMALE RD 0100502RD

3 C 22 MALE CP 0100503CP

4 D 3 MALE UC 0100504UC

In baseline, we entered 3 nos. of detailed questionnaire in second level with the partipant ids 0100502RD, 0100503CP, 0100504UC
where

CP=CURRENTLY PREGNANT
RD=RECENTLY DELIVERED
UC=UNDER 5 YEARS
NA=NOT APPLICABLE

During updatation,
If a CP interviewed in baseline, fould as RD in 1st updatation after baseline, what will happen as that lady is on same row of family member roster.

I can also attach my entire two level application along with the questionnaires if i missed something. But this is really challenging for me in Cspro. So i am looking forward to have help from you and team.

How to i plan for this keeping all updatation in plan

I have talked about other people working in same direction. They suggested to use Access or any other RDBMS. But i think there must be some more effective way in CSpro.

Thanks in advance.

Sincerly yours

With Regards

Manoj
Gregory Martin

Re: Updating same data in longitudinal study

Post by Gregory Martin »

If you are changing the status, and status is part of the participant ID, you will have a hard time working with this data in CSPro. Your best option might be to store the changes to participant IDs in an external file and then write a batch application to modify your original data files to update the IDs on the second level. Then you can do the baseline updates in CSEntry.

Why must status be part of the participant ID? If you simply used HHID + SNO, you wouldn't have these problems, right?