Data entry--inability to generate index for data file

Discussions about CSEntry
Forum rules
New release: CSPro 8.0
BHK

Data entry--inability to generate index for data file

Post by BHK »

New user here.

I create my dictionary file and form file, but when I go to data entry CSPro refuses to open the application and gives me the message:
"Cannot generate index file for data file. Check IDs in data file & dictionary"

The result is the same whether I create my files from scratch or instead modify one of the example files.

What am I doing wrong? The IDs look ok. But, without running data entry, there is of course no data file as yet. Do I need to create a PFF file specifying data entry IDs first?
Gregory Martin

Re: Data entry--inability to generate index for data file

Post by Gregory Martin »

Does your dictionary have any ID items specified? If not, your application needs at least one ID item.

Are you running the application on a drive or folder that you need administrative rights to access? Or that is read-only? For example, the "C:\Program Files\CSPro 4.1\Examples" folder requires administrative privileges in a default Windows Vista installation. You'll experience problems if you're trying to create files in that folder. Try copying the examples folder to the Desktop and see if things work.

Also make sure that you are not opening an existing application file as your data file. For example, recently someone had this problem and it was because she was trying to open the application logic as the data file. This logic file could not be processed as a data file.

A PFF file will be created automatically for you upon opening of CSEntry so you do not have to manually create one.
Enos

Post by Enos »

Hello BHM,

I have a similar problem and its driving me crazy. I am trying to use a lookup file and everytime I run the application, I get this error. Did you ever figure out the solution? What did u change or what I am I doing wrong?? Please help
Gregory Martin

Post by Gregory Martin »

If you're having problems creating an index, try creating it separately from your data entry program. Run the Index Files tool and see if you can create an index for your data file. If you can't, it means that there is probably some incorrect about the way your dictionary is describing the file, or potentially that the file is not a valid CSPro file.