Problem with multiple languages

Discussions about CSEntry
Forum rules
New release: CSPro 8.0
claudia

Problem with multiple languages

Post by claudia »

Hi,

I use cspro v6.3 and I am programming my questionnaire in multiple languages: English and French. I have followed the instructions for adding a language to the value sets (questionnaire answers) and most of the time it works; however, sometimes when I change the value sets say from English into French (for the French version) this then also changes the value sets for the English version. This makes me waste large amounts of time... Would anyone know how to avoid this problem?

Many thanks,
Claudia
htuser

Re: Problem with multiple languages

Post by htuser »

Hi Claudia,
I already developed Cspro application in multiple language with no problem but in latest Version of Cspro: 7+, because my country is bilingual. Since, i'm french speaking, it's possible to help you.

Please, can you send to me your application in a private message in this forum?
Best regards,
G.VOLNY, a CSProuser from Haiti, since 2004
anisehbro

Post by anisehbro »

maybe you forgot (for those specific cases) to change the _VS1 to _ENG or _FRE in the value set names?
claudia

Post by claudia »

Hi,

thank you for your answers. Until now, I was only changing the Value LABELS according to the language; which seemed to work in most cases (but not all!). Am I also supposed to change the Value Set NAMES? And what about the ITEM NAMES (I had left them the same in the two languages)?

Many thanks,
Claudia
anisehbro

Post by anisehbro »

Hi Claudia,
My understanding is that value set names have to be identical, with the only difference being the ending representing the language.
So for example, if you are asking sex of respondent each value set will have it's own label (they can be the same or different, it doesn't matter) but the Value Set Name would be something like SEX_ENG and SEX_FRE.

What I describe above has worked for me in a number of surveys, I hope it helps.
Aniseh
Gregory Martin

Post by Gregory Martin »

Depending on how you have set up your application, you may need to add an OnChangeLanguage function to your application to setup the languages correctly.

However, the way of naming value sets with _ENG or _FRA is the old way of doing things, before CSPro supported multiple language dictionaries. Now you can add value sets and add labels in multiple languages to the value sets. See this for more information:

http://www.csprousers.org/help/CSPro/mu ... aries.html

If doing this, when you change the language, the value labels will automatically change.
claudia

Post by claudia »

Hi and thank you for your answers.

I'm a bit slow understanding this procedure, really sorry...

Basically, I had followed these instructions (http://www.csprousers.org/help/CSPro/mu ... aries.html) and I do have the "Language" box in the toolbar where both English and French appear, which is what I am using when changing the value sets.

When the instructions state: "Each language has its own set of labels for all of the dictionary elements" does this mean that they are automatically created or that I have to manually change these labels?

My understanding was that I could use the dictionary I had created for my main language, and just change each value set into French while specifying in the toolbar that I am working in French; is this not correct?
By reading the instructions again I wonder whether this bit: "When adding items to your data entry forms, you can specify that the field labels should be directly linked to the dictionary label..." means that I should be creating NEW items for the second language rather than changing the ones I already had for the main language. Maybe this is the problem?

Thanks again for your advice,
Claudia
anisehbro

Post by anisehbro »

Hi Claudia,
It seems like I am doing languages the old way (as per Greg's message above). But if you are in a bind, maybe it will help you. I am attaching a screen shot of a value set that I use and the syntax associated with it.
Attachments
multiple languages
multiple languages
Screenshot 2017-09-27 06.55.41.png (90.17 KiB) Viewed 6225 times
multiple languages
multiple languages
Screenshot 2017-09-27 06.56.01.png (82.24 KiB) Viewed 6225 times