Data export when the items are in the same dict but different rosters

Discussions about CSEntry
Forum rules
New release: CSPro 8.0
Tsheringcee

Data export when the items are in the same dict but different rosters

Post by Tsheringcee »

I need some advice
I have a program where I ask demographic information to all and eduction to only 3 years and above so in the program I have two rosters where members will be asked demo info in the first roster and education in the second roster .based on the age the education will be skipped for member 3 years and above .now when I export the file since they are all in the same dict the member details for education does not get exported in the proper row ..how can I export so that information for the person donot get distorted

Thank you
josh

Re: Data export when the items are in the same dict but different rosters

Post by josh »

There are two ways that this is usually done:

1) Add blank rows in the education roster for household members that do not answer the education questions. You can do this with "skip to next" in the preproc of the first row of the education roster. For example:
PROC EDUCATION_QUESTION_1
preproc
// skip row for under three years old
if AGE <  3 then

skip to next;
endif;
This way the row number in the two rosters will always be the same for the same person and you will have blank rows for those under 3.

2) In the education roster add variable for the line number in the household roster of the person you are entering the education for. Then in whatever program you are exporting to (SPSS,STATA...) you can use this variable to link the education record to the household roster.