Separate boxes for subitems

Discussions about CSEntry
claudia

Separate boxes for subitems

Post by claudia »

Hi, I am completely new to cspro and creating my first CAPI data entry file.
As part of a question I ask participants for how long they have lived in this country and in the form I would like there to be one box for years_ _ one for months_ _ and one for days _ _.
I have tried creating subitems for these three (years, months, days) but they don't appear separately in the form (I get one box with 6 spaces). Could someone kindly advise me on how to do this? Many thanks!
Gregory Martin

Re: Separate boxes for subitems

Post by Gregory Martin »

From the Options menu, select Drag. Select "Use subitems when present."

Now, when you drag items to the form, it should use the subitems (instead of the parent item).
claudia

Post by claudia »

Many thanks for your quick answer! It is indeed exactly what I have done, and in the answer form I get the parent item with a large box whith 6 spaces (to key in number of years, months, and days); yet, I would like these to appear in three separate boxes with the labels "years" "months" "days" next to them...
Saint

Post by Saint »

Did you drag the whole record to the form or you drag item by item? I would suggest you delete the item with the six boxes from the form, and drag the subitems one at a time by themselves to the form. Hopefully this should work.
claudia

Post by claudia »

Thank you for your answers.
Indeed I hadn't dragged the subitems one by one, which I have now done and get 3 separate boxes as I wanted :)
BUT I still have a problem as I would like to have the "parent" question on the form too, so that the interviewer can read the question applying to all three subitems :"Q3 How long have you lived in this country?" (years, months, days) AND so that I can add a logic for this whole question (and not subitem by subitem).
CSpro refuses to let me drag the parent item as it says the subitems are already present on the form. What can I do in this case?
Many thanks
josh

Post by josh »

CSPro won't let you have both items and subitems on the form at the same time. You can use the subitems and put the logic in the postproc of the last item. You can still refer to the parent item in your logic for the last subitem. On the form you can edit use the same question text (if you are using CAPI question text) for all three subitems and you can delete the labels associated with two of the subitems and edit the third one so that it looks like a single question.