printing all survey questions directly from CSPro

Discussions about CSEntry
sjonabro

printing all survey questions directly from CSPro

Post by sjonabro »

Hello,
I was wondering if there is a way to print out all of my survey questions directly from CSPro?
Thank you,
Aniseh
sjonabro

Re: printing all survey questions directly from CSPro

Post by sjonabro »

Hi, I was wondering if anyone has an answer for the question above.
Thanks!!!
Aniseh
reeve

Post by reeve »

Yes, this would be very helpful. We make our data publicly available and it used to be easy (with PAPI) to release the questionnaire.pdf (which had all the variable names right on it). But now...? I doubt that posting quest.fmf would have the same widespread use.
josh

Post by josh »

This is a feature we are looking at for a future release but there isn't a nice way to do it currently.

You can search older posts on the forum to see what other folks have done. There is the old fviewer application that was never really fully supported and might or not work with your application (http://csprousers.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=685) there is htuser who wrote his own code in CSPro logic to generate a custom HTML form containing his data (http://csprousers.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1177). That approach is a lot of work for a complex questionnaire and you need to know some HTML.
reeve

Post by reeve »

Thanks Josh.

... or you could have administrative staff type it out all over again in MSWord or Excel -- that sounds a lot quicker/ simpler (& more adjustable) than getting CSPro code to write HTML code.

--- or you could skip doing this altogether and just distribute the codebook from stata (that would produce frequencies as well but is too detailed for a quick overview.)

So, I think this would be about 9th or 10th on my list of priorities for new features.
sjonabro

Post by sjonabro »

I would suggest that this is something that would be incredibly useful, not a low priority item, as suggested above.

If you work with an instrument that is translated into 3 languages, for example, whenever there is a change in the instrument it is much easier to have someone print out the questions and check for language consistency. You do not want more than 1 or maybe 2 key people working on the original CSPro file - at most.

The stata codebook will only provide variable names and labels, but often what you are interested in are the questions themselves, not simply the variables names.
reeve

Post by reeve »

Yes. Good point.