Barcode Scanner

Discussions about CSEntry
Forum rules
New release: CSPro 8.0
shafique arif

Barcode Scanner

Post by shafique arif »

Dear All
We are planning to collect food sample (Wheat, Salt, sugar etc for lab testing) from households in addition to household information. Some surveys also require collection of 'blood sample', 'Urine sample' etc. Food samples require some IDCODES (e.g., barcodes) which need to be linked with household data after receiving information from labs. Is there any way to use BARCODE SCAN application so that Barcodes are recorded in CAPI? [Something similar to GPS which are recorded automatically). Any help in this regard will highly be appreciated.
Shafique
josh

Re: Barcode Scanner

Post by josh »

Is this on Android or Windows? On Windows laptops/netbooks there are many handheld barcode scanners that connect via USB and can be configured to send keyboard input. In other words when you use them to scan a barcode it automatically enters the numeric value of the barcode into whatever software you are using including CSPro. With this setup you do not need any special fields in CSPro. You would simply create a numeric field large enough and then when you get it during data entry you scan the barcode.

I don't know of any handheld barcode scanners that can connect to an Android phone/tablet. There are plenty of free apps on Android that use the camera to scan barcodes that you could use. Unfortunately none would integrate nicely with CSPro. You would have to leave CSEntry, launch the barcode scanner application, scan the barcode, copy the result, return to CSEntry and paste the result into CSEntry. You could potentially make that a little easier by launching the barcode application from CSPro logic using execsystem but you would still have to copy and paste. Hopefully in the future we will add a barcode capture type on Android that will make this easier.
arronlee

Post by arronlee »

shafique arif wrote:Dear All
We are planning to collect food sample (Wheat, Salt, sugar etc for lab testing) from households in addition to household information. Some surveys also require collection of 'blood sample', 'Urine sample' etc. Food samples require some IDCODES (e.g., barcodes) which need to be linked with household data after receiving information from labs. Is there any way to use
BARCODE SCAN application so that Barcodes are recorded in CAPI? [Something similar to GPS which are recorded automatically). Any help in this regard will highly be appreciated.
Shafique
Hi, shafique arif.
Have you worked it out? I am also stucked with the related
barcode reading problem. I hope we can communicate later. Thanks in advance.

Best regards,
Arron
shafique arif

Post by shafique arif »

Hi Arron

I tested couple of Android application (Barcode scanner, barcode reader etc) which scan barcode, and can easily be pasted in CSPro field. Though it fulfilled my requirement but I was keen to get is done automatically. Let's see If we can find any application which can run with CSPro.

Regards
Mike010

Post by Mike010 »

shafique arif wrote:Hi Arron

I tested couple of Android application (Barcode scanner, barcode reader etc) which scan barcode, and can easily be pasted in CSPro field. Though it fulfilled my requirement but I was keen to get is done automatically. Let's see If we can find any application which can run with CSPro.

Regards
Hi, Do you have any example to page the data of QR Code in a CS-PRO Variable.

Thank you
Mike010

Post by Mike010 »

josh wrote:Is this on Android or Windows? On Windows laptops/netbooks there are many handheld barcode scanners that connect via USB and can be configured to send keyboard input. In other words when you use them to scan a barcode it automatically enters the numeric value of the barcode into whatever software you are using including CSPro. With this setup you do not need any special fields in CSPro. You would simply create a numeric field large enough and then when you get it during data entry you scan the barcode.

I don't know of any handheld barcode scanners that can connect to an Android phone/tablet. There are plenty of free apps on Android that use the camera to scan barcodes that you could use. Unfortunately none would integrate nicely with CSPro. You would have to leave CSEntry, launch the barcode scanner application, scan the barcode, copy the result, return to CSEntry and paste the result into CSEntry. You could potentially make that a little easier by launching the barcode application from CSPro logic using execsystem but you would still have to copy and paste. Hopefully in the future we will add a barcode capture type on Android that will make this easier.
Hi Josh.

How can I Copy & Paste a QR Code in a CSPRO?

Thanyou!
aaronw

Post by aaronw »

CSPro does not support QR codes. However, if you decoded the QR and wrote its values to a file, CSPro could read the file. Unfortunately, I do not have an example of this lying around.